Written By Cycling Enthusiasts
Established in 2016
Top 100 Cycling blogs
Is Bangor Good for Cycling?
Bangor, located on the coast of North Wales, has a reputation for being a picturesque and charming town. If you’re looking for something more challenging, you can take on the Lon Las Cymru, a long-distance cycle route that connects Bangor to Cardiff. But is it a good place for cycling? In this article, we’ll explore the factors that make Bangor an excellent destination for cyclists.
One of the most significant advantages of cycling in Bangor is the availability of stunning scenery. The town is surrounded by beautiful mountains and the Irish Sea, offering a variety of landscapes to explore.
The National Cycle Route 5 runs through Bangor, offering traffic-free routes perfect for families and beginners. This route passes through Conwy and Llandudno, and the sea and coastline views are breathtaking.
Bangor Cycling Statistics
Bangor is a relatively small town with a population of around 18,000 people. While it’s not a major urban center, it does have a mix of urban and rural areas, making it an exciting destination for cyclists.
According to the 2011 Census, around 3% of commuters in Bangor used bicycles as their primary transportation to work. This is relatively low compared to other cities in the UK, such as Cambridge or Oxford, which have much higher cycling rates.
However, it’s worth noting that Bangor has tried to encourage cycling and improve cycling infrastructure. The town has several designated cycle routes and shared paths, including the National Cycle Route 5, which runs through the city. Some cycle hire services are available in the town, making it easier for visitors to explore the area on two wheels.
The town has also implemented some measures to improve road safety for cyclists, such as installing calming traffic measures and introducing lower speed limits on some roads.
Overall, while the cycling statistics in Bangor may be lower than in some other cities in the UK, the town has made some progress in encouraging cycling and improving cycling infrastructure. With its mix of urban and rural areas, Bangor is an excellent destination for cyclists who want to explore the stunning scenery of North Wales.
Cycle bike hire in Bangor
You can hire a cycle in Bangor, UK, in several places. Here are a few options:
- Cycle Wales: Located in Bethesda, just a few miles from Bangor, Cycle Wales offers a range of bicycles for hire, including road bikes, mountain bikes, and electric bikes. They also offer guided tours and shuttle services to some of the best cycling routes in North Wales.
- Penrhyn Castle: The National Trust property of Penrhyn Castle, located just outside Bangor, offers cycle hire services. They have a range of bicycles available, including adult and children’s bikes and trailers for younger children.
- Bangor Cycle Centre: Located in the center of Bangor, the Bangor Cycle Centre offers bicycle rentals, repairs, and sales. They have a range of bicycles available, including road bikes, mountain bikes, electric bikes, helmets, and other cycling accessories.
- Anglesey Bike Hire: If you’re looking to explore the beautiful island of Anglesey, just a short distance from Bangor, Anglesey Bike Hire offers a range of bicycles for hire, including road bikes, mountain bikes, and electric bikes. They also offer guided tours and shuttle services to some of the best cycling routes on the island.
It’s always a good idea to book early to ensure availability, especially during peak season. Additionally, check the opening hours and rental rates of each provider to find the best option for your needs.
Top 3 routes for cycling in Bangor
Bangor, located in North Wales, has some of the most stunning cycling routes in the UK. Here are the top 3 routes for cycling in Bangor:
- National Cycle Route 5: This route runs through Bangor and is part of a more extensive network of cycle routes that connect various parts of the UK. The route is traffic-free, making it perfect for families and beginners. It takes you along the North Wales coastline, offering stunning views of the Irish Sea and the Snowdonia mountains. This route is approximately 10 miles long and takes 1-2 hours to complete.
- Lon Las Cymru: This long-distance cycle route starts in Holyhead and ends in Cardiff. It covers over 250 miles and takes you through some of the most scenic parts of Wales, including Bangor. The route takes you through Snowdonia National Park, offering breathtaking views of the mountains and lakes. This route is more suitable for experienced cyclists and can take several days.
- Lôn Las Menai: This shorter cycle route starts in Caernarfon and ends in Bangor. It is approximately 7.5 miles long and takes you along the Menai Strait, offering stunning views of the water and the historic Caernarfon Castle. This route is suitable for all levels of cyclists and takes around 1-2 hours to complete.
These are just a few of the many cycling routes available in Bangor. Whether you’re looking for a leisurely ride along the coast or a more challenging route through the mountains, Bangor has something to offer for every type of cyclist.
Some bike shops in Bangor
Bangor, located in North Wales, has several bike shops where you can find everything from bicycles and accessories to repairs and maintenance services. Here are some of the bike shops in Bangor, North Wales:
- Chainline Cycles: Located in Bethesda, just a few miles from Bangor, Chainline Cycles is a family-owned bike shop that offers sales, repairs, and rentals. They stock a range of bicycles, including road bikes, mountain bikes, electric bikes, cycling accessories, and clothing.
- Bangor Cycle Centre: Located in the center of Bangor, Bangor Cycle Centre offers sales, repairs, and rentals of bicycles. They stock a range of bicycles, including road bikes, mountain bikes, electric bikes, cycling accessories, and clothing. They also offer a free bike fitting service with every new bike purchase.
- Halfords: In the Parc Menai retail park, Halfords is a chain of bicycle and car accessory stores. They offer a range of bicycles, including road bikes, mountain bikes, electric bikes, cycling accessories, and clothing. They also provide a range of services, including bike repairs and maintenance. Read about are Halford bikes any good?
- Mountain Bike Wales: Located in Llanberis, just a short distance from Bangor, Mountain Bike Wales is a bike shop specializing in mountain bikes. They offer sales, repairs, and rentals of mountain bikes, guided tours, and skills coaching.
These are just a few bike shops available in Bangor, North Wales. Before visiting a bike shop, it’s a good idea to check their opening hours and availability of services to ensure they meet your needs.
Where to lock your bike in Bangor
When cycling in Bangor, North Wales, finding a safe and secure place to lock your bike when not in use is essential. Here are some places where you can lock your bike in Bangor:
- Bangor Train Station: The train station has a cycle rack where you can lock your bike securely. It’s a popular spot for commuters and travelers who need a safe place to store their bikes.
- Bangor University: The campus has several bike racks throughout the grounds, providing a convenient and safe place to lock your bike. However, it’s important to note that some bike racks are only for students and staff.
- Bangor High Street: There are several bike racks along Bangor High Street where you can lock your bike while shopping or running errands. These racks are conveniently located and provide a good level of security.
- Penrhyn Castle: The National Trust property of Penrhyn Castle, located just outside of Bangor, has bike racks near the entrance. This is a great place to lock your bike if you plan to explore the castle and its grounds.
When locking your bike, it’s essential to use a good quality lock to ensure that your bike is securely attached to the rack. Additionally, avoiding leaving your bike in secluded or unlit areas is an excellent way to minimize the theft risk.
Reddit reviews on cycling in Bangor
Here are some Reddit reviews on cycling in Bangor, North Wales:
“I recently cycled from Bangor to Llanberis, and the route was stunning. The roads were quiet, and the scenery was breathtaking. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good cycling route in North Wales!”
“I’ve been cycling around Bangor for years, and it’s one of the best places to cycle in the UK. The roads are well-maintained, the drivers are generally considerate, and there are some fantastic routes to explore. The coastal route is particularly stunning.”
“I’ve been cycling to work in Bangor for the past year, and it’s been great. The cycle paths are well-designed, and plenty of bike racks are around the city. It’s a great way to stay fit and save money on transport costs.”
Local cycling clubs in the city
If you’re looking to join a cycling club in Bangor, North Wales, here are some options to consider:
- Clwb Beicio Môn (Anglesey Cycling Club): While not based in Bangor, Clwb Beicio Môn is a nearby cycling club that welcomes members from across North Wales. They offer regular club rides, time trials, and social events.
- Bangor University Cycling Club: This cycling club is open to students and staff at Bangor University. They offer regular club rides, social events, and participation in competitions.
- Cofis Cycling Club: Based in nearby Caernarfon, Cofis Cycling Club is a friendly club that welcomes members of all abilities. They offer regular club rides, social events, and participation in competitions.
- Holyhead Cycling Club: Based in nearby Holyhead, Holyhead Cycling Club is a well-established club that offers regular club rides, social events, and participation in competitions.
These are just a few cycling clubs and organizations available in and around Bangor, North Wales. Joining a cycling club is a great way to meet other cyclists, improve your skills, and explore the beautiful scenery of North Wales.
However, it’s important to note that some roads in Bangor can be busy, particularly during peak times. Planning your route carefully and being aware of traffic when cycling on the roads is essential. It’s also advisable to wear appropriate safety gear and ensure your bike is in good working order before setting off on any cycling routes.
Overall, Bangor is an excellent destination for cyclists, offering a range of routes to suit different abilities and preferences. With stunning scenery and a variety of cycle hire services available, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t pack your bike and head to Bangor for your next cycling adventure.
Welsh Cycling Routes
Arjun Mertiya has been writing about ebikes and MTB for over eight years
have a question?
or a comment to make?
share your opinion – I’d love to hear your thoughts!