Written By Cycling Enthusiasts
Established in 2016
Top 100 Cycling blogs
Is Wrexham Good For Cycling?
For the last three weeks, I have been getting many queries regarding whether Wrexham is good or bad for cycling. I have done good research from various essential sources. Wrexham, a town located in North Wales, has a rich cultural heritage.
The city is also a popular destination for cycling enthusiasts, with its numerous cycling routes and trails attracting cyclists from all over the country. But the question is, is Wrexham perfect for cycling? Let’s take a closer look.
Yes, Wrexham is generally considered a good destination for cycling. The town has an extensive network of cycling paths and trails, catering to all levels of cyclists.
It also has a vibrant cycling community, with several cycling clubs and groups based in the town, and hosts several cycling events throughout the year.
Wrexham City Cycling statistics
According to the 2011 Census, around 2.7% of people in Wrexham traveled to work by cycling, slightly below the national average of 2.8%.
However, this data is several years old, and it’s possible that the number of people cycling in Wrexham has increased since then.
In 2019, the Wrexham County Borough Council surveyed to gather information on cycling habits and attitudes in the area.
The survey found that 70% of respondents owned a bike, with 54% using it at least once a week. The most common reasons for cycling were leisure (46%) and exercise (36%), with commuting making up only 14%.
The survey also found that 33% of respondents were concerned about cycling safety in Wrexham, with busy roads and poor infrastructure being the main reasons for concern. However, 69% of respondents believed that cycling could be made safer and more accessible in the town, with improved infrastructure and more cycle lanes being suggested.
Cycle bike hire in Wrexham
There are several places in Wrexham where you can hire or rent a cycle or bike. Here are a few options:
- CycleWales – located in the town center, CycleWales offers bike hire for individuals, families, and groups. They have a range of bikes available, including mountain, road, and electric bikes. They also provide helmets and maps of local cycling routes.
- Pedal Power – located in Alyn Waters Country Park, Pedal Power offers bike hire for individuals and families. They have a range of bikes available, including children’s, adult, and electric bikes. They also provide helmets and maps of local cycling routes.
- Wrexham Bicycle Users Group (BUG) – if you’re a member of Wrexham BUG, you can hire a bike from their fleet for a small fee. BUG is a local cycling group that promotes cycling in the town and campaigns for better cycling infrastructure.
- Wrexham Council runs a bike loan scheme for residents who want to try cycling before buying a bike. You can borrow a bike for up to 2 weeks for free, with a deposit required. They have a range of bikes available, including children’s, adult, and electric bikes.
These are just a few options for hiring or renting a bike in Wrexham. It’s always best to call ahead and check availability and pricing before visiting.
Bike shops in Wrexham
There are several bike shops in Wrexham where you can buy a cycle or bike. Here are a few options:
- The Bike Factory – located in the town center- is a well-known bike shop that has been in business for over 20 years. They sell a wide range of bikes, including mountain bikes, road bikes, and electric bikes, as well as accessories and clothing.
- Halfords – located on Plas Coch Retail Park, Halfords is a national chain that sells bikes and cycling accessories. They have a range of bikes available, including hybrid, mountain, and electric bikes. They also provide bike servicing and repairs. Find out if Halford Bikes are any good?
- Decathlon – located in the Eagles Meadow Shopping Center, is a sports retailer selling a range of bikes and cycling accessories. They have a wide selection of bikes available, including road, mountain, and children’s bikes.
- Go Outdoors – located at Plas Coch Retail Park, Go Outdoors is an outdoor retailer that sells bikes and cycling accessories. They have a range of bikes available, including hybrid, mountain, and children’s bikes.
- Evans Cycles – located in Chester, which is a short drive away from Wrexham, Evans Cycles is a well-known bike shop that sells a wide range of bikes and cycling accessories. They have a range of bikes available, including road, mountain, and electric bikes.
These are just a few options for buying a bike in Wrexham and the surrounding area.
Top 3 routes in Wrexham for cycling
There are several great cycling routes in and around Wrexham. Here are three of the top routes:
- The Llangollen Canal – The Llangollen Canal is a popular cycling route from Llangollen to Ellesmere. The route is mostly flat and offers beautiful views of the Welsh countryside. You can stop at several canal-side pubs and cafes for a break along the way. This route is approximately 24 miles long and is suitable for all levels of cyclists.
- The Clwydian Range – The Clwydian Range is a beautiful area of hills and moorland that offers some challenging cycling routes. The routes are hilly and require a good level of fitness, but the views from the top are worth the effort. One popular route is the Panorama, which takes you up Moel Famau, the highest hill in the range. This route is approximately 20 miles long and is suitable for experienced cyclists.
- The Dee Valley – The Dee Valley is a beautiful area that runs from Llangollen to Chester. The route follows the River Dee and offers stunning views of the valley and the surrounding hills. Along the way, you can stop at several charming villages and towns, including the historic town of Holt. This route is approximately 35 miles long and is suitable for intermediate-level cyclists.
These are just three great cycling routes in and around Wrexham. Remember always to wear a helmet, follow the rules of the road, and respect other cyclists and pedestrians.
Where to lock your bike in Wrexham
If you’re cycling in Wrexham and need to lock up your bike, there are several places where you can do so:
- Bike racks – There are bike racks throughout the town center, including near the bus station, train station, and Queens Square. These are the best places to lock up your bike if you run errands or shop in the town center.
- Alyn Waters Country Park – If you’re cycling in Alyn Waters Country Park, several bike racks are located near the visitor center and cafe. This is an excellent place to lock up your bike while you explore the park.
- Leisure centers – Waterworld and Gwyn Evans Leisure and Activity Center have bike racks near the entrance. This is an excellent place to lock up your bike while using the facilities.
Always use a good quality lock when locking up your bike and secure the frame and wheels to the rack or other fixed objects. Never leave your bike unattended for long periods, especially overnight.
Cycling in Wrexham Reddit views
“I love cycling in Wrexham! There are many beautiful routes to choose from, whether you’re looking for something flat and easy or a more challenging ride. The Llangollen Canal is a personal favorite of mine – it’s scenic and peaceful, with plenty of places to stop for a break.” – Sarah M.
“I’ve been cycling in Wrexham for years, and I have to say, the roads can be a bit busy and intimidating at times. But overall, it’s a great place to cycle, with many cycle lanes and paths available. Just ensure you’re visible and stay alert.” – Tom P.
Overall, cycling in Wrexham is well-received, with many beautiful routes to explore and plenty of facilities available. However, it’s essential to be cautious and aware of traffic when cycling.
local cycling clubs in Wrexham
There are several local cycling clubs in Wrexham that cater to different levels of cyclists. Here are a few:
- Wrexham Roads Club – This long-established cycling club in Wrexham caters to all cyclists’ abilities, from beginners to advanced riders. They organize regular group rides, time trials, and other events yearly.
- CTC North Wales – CTC (Cyclists’ Touring Club) North Wales is a regional group of the national cycling charity that promotes cycling for everyone. They organize regular group rides and events and campaign for better cycling infrastructure in the area.
- The Pedal Power Cycling Club – This community-based cycling club aims to promote cycling as a healthy and fun activity for all ages. They organize regular rides for families and beginners and more advanced rides for experienced cyclists.
- VC Melyd – VC Melyd is a cycling club based in Rhyl with members from across North Wales, including Wrexham. They cater to all abilities of cyclists and organize regular rides, racing events, and training sessions.
Joining a local cycling club is a great way to meet like-minded people and improve your cycling skills.
In conclusion, if you’re a cycling enthusiast looking for a new destination, Wrexham is definitely worth considering. With its stunning scenery, extensive cycling routes, and vibrant cycling community, the town offers something for every type of cyclist.
Arjun Mertiya is a top-selling professional mtb and ebikes writer who lives what he writes as an automotive engineering graduate. He have 8 years in hand experience of ebikes and MTB testing in India. Arjun is passionate about technical writing specifically on MTB and ebikes.
have a question?
or a comment to make?
share your opinion – I’d love to hear your thoughts!